I'm really not big on sign language for babies, though I do understand the benefits. Sign language just never caught on with me- and I could never remember all the movements. But, Uncle Brian helps us learn a few signs from time to time, courtesy of his having been an aide for special needs students for a few years. And I think it's really cool that Brian teaches us signs for whatever might come up when he's here. One sign we've learned is the sign for "more"- it's just the fingertips of your two hands together. That's a sign I did try to use, although not with any regularity. I started a while back, but it was pretty random, and I felt silly doing it, and it seemed to me Daniel was just like, what the heck Mom? so I kind of stopped.
Well, let me tell you...out of the blue the other day, Daniel started signing "more" and he's done it several times since! It's so cute. He doesn't always do it, so he's still pretty random with it, but I believe he really does mean it, because he does it very appropriately and very clearly! Of course we're really trying to reinforce it and give him lots of praise. I just couldn't believe my eyes. Well, I've been trying to get a picture, which is hard because Daniel doesn't make the sign that often, but I managed to get this picture at dinner tonight. Take a look at Daniel's hands- that's the "more" sign. We think this is a fun new development, and it goes to show that things do stick with our little ones- you just never know.
I'm working with Daniel on the "help" sign now, which I just learned the other day. That's a very helpful sign (hehe, get it- help is helpful! I crack myself up! OK- time for my bedtime!) We shall see...
So, Uncle Brian, thanks for your help and keep the signs coming! We'll catch on...eventually.
No comments:
Post a Comment