I think the pictures say it all this month...Daniel is sure growing up! And fast, too! He's so sure of himself and much more confident lately. Can you tell by the way he's sitting next to Mickey- so straight and tall and smiley? And what about him "shouting" I'm so big?! (He's standing next to Mickey in front of his adorable pirate growth chart.) Daniel is just such a wonderful, happy, good-natured little boy. We're SO blessed!
Confidence
I really mean it about how much more confident Daniel is these days. He still wants us around (thank goodness!!), but he's getting more willing to do things on his own. Just last week he went down the slide all by himself at the park. He sat down and we encouraged him to keep scooting & scooting to the slide and then down he went; he loved it! Check our action shot below! He still needs help going up and sometimes down steps and curbs (he will either wait for our hands or he will just climb/crawl up), but when we were at the park the other day, I watched him go up and down the curb several times, climbing up and then stepping down all by himself! And then, he had picked up some sticks to throw away so both of his hands were full and on his way to the garbage, he stepped up the curb without a second thought! I'm not even sure he realized what he'd just done, because he was so focused and he just kept on walking. More practice and perhaps a few inches on the legs will help.
All By Myself
At gymnastics the other day, Daniel also went on the balance beams all by himself. One was on the floor and he had to step over these squishy starfish- he did the whole length of the beam all on his own. The other balance beam went up on an incline. The first time he started up all on his own; he was too fast for me so he was already a few steps up and falling off by the time I got there. The second time he waited for my hand, which I simply placed under his, sorta there but not there, and he went up the whole beam all on his own without holding on. I was just there for moral and imagined support. Yippee, Daniel!
Shortcuts
Daniel is starting to figure out shortcuts to doing things, too. Smart guy. He loves to lick his fingers clean when he's eating, gross but also kinda cute. I think it's because a) he doesn't want a drop of dip-dip to go to waste and b) he thinks there'll be less washing (not his favorite thing) to do afterwards! Funny guy! Daniel has also figured out that he can scoop his toys up to clean up faster. And of course he says, "scoop, scoop" all the while.
BALLS!!
Daniel still enjoys anything to do with balls. There was a Mutts comic in the Sunday paper last weekend that was totally Daniel! I'll try to post the link to it someday- it's not online yet. He's getting the hang of kicking balls now, too. And he loves throwing them. He thinks it funny when I toss it to him to "catch" and it hits his belly- he laughs and laughs at this. We're still working on actually catching- he's got the idea that his hands need to be ready.
Snaps & Claps
One thing I think is super cute is watching Daniel try to snap. He's actually got the hang of it, but of course there's not much of a sound. Still, it's cute to watch him try. When I snap at the cats to get down from somewhere they shouldn't be, Daniel will imitate me and snap, too. I also think it's funny the way he tries to clap louder and louder. He will clap and clap and clap trying to get louder and louder and then when he's satisfied he's made that one "smack", he stops with a look of delight and pride on his face. Too funny.
Inside that Little Head of His...
Daniel still chats up a storm. He surprises us every day with several new words. I can't even begin to describe how awesome it is to hear how his language is developing. And his memory- oh, his memory- it's good. The other day he picked up a book we used to sit and read often, "Hug"; now, we haven't read this book in I don't know how many weeks (I like to try to change the books up a bit from time to time), but he brought it to me, opened it up, and said "hug" while demonstrating a hug with his head tilted toward his shoulders all snuggled up. I thought what an amazing example of his memory.
I always wondered before I became a mother, how do parents know what their kids are saying. So far though, we've had no trouble- we can usually figure out what Daniel is trying to say- it's not hard at all, really. This week however, I think we've finally stumbled on word that we just have NO CLUE what's he trying to say- "Fih". It's not fish, it's not finish, it's not anything remotely beginning with fi as far as we can tell, for those of you who want to help us. If you know of a baby word translator, do let us know. Otherwise, we're riding this one out... Oh- and NO is still up there on Daniel's list of favorite words; at least we don't hear it too often, yet.
And if you should come across Daniel, at home or out & about, and greet him, he will name EVERYthing in sight he can name. Shoes, ball, car, ball, wawa, ball...it depends where you meet him and what there is to see. But he will happily tell you all the words he knows! Hope you're ready to listen...
Daniel also enjoys screeching these days, too- we're not too fond of it, but we know it's a stage (at least we hope it's a temporary stage) and he sure enjoys seeing how loud he can get. We just hope he keeps it to a minimum and only at home...good luck with that, right?
Daniel's comprehension is awesome. I love witnessing his ability to carry tasks out or find things for me. His problem solving and thinking skills are awesome. I love to just watch him play and figure things out. He also knows all the steps to making his oatmeal in the morning- he will tell you what to get, what to do, and where it all goes- it's our morning routine and he's got it down pat.
Director Daniel
Director Daniel...yes, we've arrived at that stage, gently and nicely though so far, I have to say. Daniel loves to "direct" us now. He tells us to sit, close, come (I actually think this one is cute right now- because I know there'll come a day when he won't want me to come and be right there next to him! or there'll come a day when he's not asking so nicely and patiently to "come on, Mom!"), and he says "on" when he wants his hat or shoes on. We're working on adding "please" to his directions. For now, we're rather obliging because who can resist my happy little director. Especially when he does say please in his oh so adorable way.
Watch Out...Here They Come!
On the way...are Daniel's four new teeth- those pesky, pointy canine teeth. I think the top ones are right there, if not slightly poked through, and the bottom ones are not too far behind. Here's hoping these teeth come in as well as all of his other ones have! (We consider ourselves very lucky to have a relatively easy teether!)
That's our news for this month! (I have ALL month to come up with these tidbits and a girl's, well a mom's, just gotta share how proud she is of her baby, er- her toddler, no- still her baby!)
Can you believe Daniel will be TWO in just four months? No hurrying now...


No comments:
Post a Comment