Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Double Digit Daniel- 10 months Old!



These are the two sweetest pictures of Daniel with his Mickey pal this month. True to his 10 month old, increasingly independent, and mobile nature, Daniel makes taking his picture an interesting adventure. Note the fun outtakes below...You can tell he wasn't really in the mood to sit next to Mickey! We do better now with more candid pictures, than posed pictures these days...and that's fine. We'll take what we can get! He's still such a cutie!



I cannot believe my little guy is 10 months old...I feel like I say that every month. It's just wild to be able to say "I have a 10 month old son!" Just a little over 8 weeks until Daniel is one! Unbelievable! :)

Our biggest update is how independent and mobile Daniel is getting. He is really squirming lately any time we try to change his diaper or change his clothes. Even at bath time he's squirmy! This has been an interesting change for us, just in the last week. Daniel scoots all over the place and this keeps him quite busy as he explores the house. Sometimes he takes toys with him as scoots around, sometimes he finds "toys" on his adventures too. It's fun to see him travel and you can almost see him thinking about where he's going to go and how he's going to get there. Too cute. Daniel also knows where Daddy is now too- and he knows how to get there- just down the hall and around the corner into that fun room with all the "toys"- yep, he makes that journey often now, with Mommy trailing right behind. Gates going up soon...but for now, I like that he can explore as long as we're right there. I want him to know where things are.

"Real" crawling may come soon...Daniel can rock on all fours and has for some time, but then he usually just flops back down on his belly and scoots. BUT this week, we've seen him start to crawl- he can move each limb at least once, so he's moving forward just a tiny bit, but then he flops back down and scoots as usual. All in good time...we shall see...

Daniel pulls himself to standing at least a few times a day. Sometimes he just gets to his knees, sometimes he gets himself all the way up. I love seeing him get to his knees to look into his toy crates- something about that is so cute. I think it's because it means he's more independent and he can find his toys and he can choose and get his own toys. It's so sweet to watch him. My little guy is growing up. Daniel does his gymnastics "body arch" ALL the time. This really is funny to watch, especially if his clothes have things dangling (like those fake drawstrings on his shorts) which he tries to reach for while in that position!

On the standing note, I also noticed the last two days that Daniel has figured out how to sit back down after standing- if we're holding him. He just sort of plunks himself down. If he's standing and holding onto something, he tends to just fall back down which doesn't seem to bother him much. AND yesterday, I was holding his hands while he was standing and he was absolutely mesmerized by this toy at therapy and he actually let go of my hands- I was so surprised and of course stayed right there so he wouldn't fall- but I thought to myself, how brave Daniel is getting. My goodness.

Daniel is eating better- he likes squash, sweet potatoes, and carrots, and he thinks pears are just okay. We're going back through foods we've tried before to see if he likes them any better now that he's doing better eating with a spoon or his Nuk brush, so we'll see how that goes. He likes his sweet potato and sweet corn puffs, too, but the banana ones are not such a hit just yet. It's so cute to see him feeding himself. He can use a pincer grasp to pick up the puffs and starting last week we noticed that he can even bite the puffs, too. And these puffs are pretty small- so that's great control. And I have to say- right on track with 10 month old development from I'm told. :) Yay, Daniel! We are taking a break from his feeding therapy since he's doing so well...we'll see what the doctor thinks in a few weeks when we go back for a follow-up now that he's been in therapy for a while. But we're glad we're moving forward! Now we need to work more on the sippy cup.

Daniel still loves putting everything in his mouth and he still LOVES music. Anything that makes sounds or music is a hit. His face just lights up- I love all the expressions he makes with his face these days. I could just stare at Daniel and watch him all day...wait a minute, I already do!!! It's the best! He has also started to wrinkle up his nose, which is so cute. This makes it look like he's fake smiling too- you gotta see it. I'll try to get a picture one of these days.

And oh my gosh does Daniel LOVE his Daddy these days. We've really noticed an attachment to Daddy in the last couple weeks. (Of course Daniel's always loved us, but this is cute!) Ben will come into the room and Daniel will make a beeline- and a quick one- right to Daddy. It's so cute to watch. And if Ben is moving around the room, like the kitchen to get his lunch or to get his keys to go run an errand, Daniel will literally follow Daddy around scooting the whole time and Daniel has even mastered taking short cuts, under the kitchen table for example. We get such a kick out of this. It's gotten so we have to distract Daniel with toys or feeding so Ben can even leave the room, otherwise Daniel cries, even when I'm right there (though this doesn't happen too often- just a few times this week). Daniel has even mastered the whole grabbing Daddy's shirt just in case we try to pass him to Mommy! This is such a change for Daniel lately...but then, we all know how special his Daddy is!

That's all our news for Daniel's 10 month update! Each day is sure a treasure with Daniel and so many new things are happening...what fun it all is!

No comments: