Tuesday, March 29, 2011

2 1/2 Years Old!



Daniel is 2 1/2 years old today! And what a difference a year makes!

I've been thinking about the past year a lot lately and I was thinking about how different things were when he was just 18 months old. We'd just weaned from nursing (at 17 months), we were just discovering the great outdoors (it was warmer at this time last year, believe it or not) and we found out that Daniel LOVES to be outside, Daniel had a few words then- ball was "ga" (click here for a blast from the past!), and we finally got Daniel out of his infant car seat into his convertible seat- and that's just a few major differences from/milestones reached then!

We will be going to the doctor for another weight check now that Daniel is 2 1/2, as requested by the pediatrician and the endocrinologist we'd been seeing (we don't need to back to the endo, they just want us to be sure to keep checking on him- which of course we will!). I'm super curious how much he weighs and how tall he is now- he's got at least another 1/2 inch to inch on him for sure- I know because his pants are shrinking. And he certainly feels a tad heavier to us, too. We've decided it will be easiest to do his weight check at the same time as baby girl's first doctor visit, since she will undoubtedly be here any day now! That will save us extra visits to the doctor. So, of course I'll have lots to share when that visit happens!

My biggest amazement this month continues to be how much Daniel's language has developed. It never ceases to amaze me- I know I keep saying that, but really. He just says the cutest things, and he is always surprising us with what he says and remembers and what he overhears (ahem). It's just so neat that we can have conversations with him and that he talks so much and so well, really.

Cute things we've heard lately:

To his lion, while we changed his diaper one day: "Don't be sad, lion. Be happy" in a quiet (yes, I said quiet) voice, while hugging and patting his lion. Then Daniel exclaims "Lion HAPPY now!" with a beaming face- so sweet.

To his kitty cat, in the basement, on the way upstairs for dinner: "Come on, kitty cat. Let's go upstairs."

To our cat, Jack, who was wandering around crying and crying (what else is new?! you'd think the cat never got attention!), while Daniel was standing on his stool at his chalkboard easel: "Hey Jack! I'm drawing!" "Hey Jack, I'm standing on stool!" I loved the fact that he was "talking" to Jack!

We're also loving the "ta-da" phase Daniel's in now! He's always clapped for himself and been proud of himself, but now he says "da-da", complete with arms extended as if saying "yay!", when he's accomplished/finished something and then he claps, too! So cute! I like how it's da-da, too.

Daniel also loves to ask, "what's next?" now. He asks what's next when we're watching something or when we listen to the CD from our music class. It's so cute.

And speaking of our music class...we'd been taking this music class at the park district during February and March- about 8 weeks altogether and I wasn't sure what Daniel was getting out of it. He'd go and participate only somewhat (I keep thinking he's a lot like his mommy was when she was little, and even sometimes now, a bit self-conscious doing silly things while out and about- not at home of course, just when we're out!), but he'd LOVE the toys and fun activities Ms. Carolyn did at every class. In all, the class was okay for what it was. I didn't have to fight to take him, but like I said, it wasn't like he seemed to love it, aside from "toy time!" as he called it.

Anyway, we come up to the day before our last class and you wouldn't believe it...my son wanted to role play music class- for the first time after all those classes and of course right before class was over. Daniel got one of his toy bins out one morning, sat down next to it in our family room, told me to sit down and said "sing Mommy" and when I looked at him puzzled (you all know I don't sing!), he said "play toy time" and then I got it. He wanted to role play our music class. So I got our music class CD out and put in our DVD/CD player and we made music with the toys, he chimed in to the words on the CD. Obviously, during all those weeks, something was sinking in! I was thrilled! And it was so cute how he was chiming in with the words. Daniel also started requesting certain songs that he remembered from class and I'd find them on the CD, or he started to ask "what's next?" and I'd tell him what songs were coming up. We had a ball! And just yesterday, Daniel asked me to "play music on TV"- he's clever, he knows the music CD is in our DVD player which plays on the TV and he knows how it all works now! Smart kid. Anyway, so I guess he did get something out of the class- I had no idea what he'd taken from the class until this one morning. It goes to show that you just never know what those little minds are soaking in! Maybe we will go back this summer- I can even take the baby!

One more wonderful tidbit from this past month: Daniel has also been super snuggly and cuddly lately. He's sitting in our laps a LOT more lately. Yes, even my ever-shrinking lap! And I LOVE it! He gives the best and snuggliest hugs, too! I sure cherish all of my moments with him... and I cannot believe he's 2 1/2 already!

No comments: