Sunday, July 4, 2010

Daniel's First Firework Show!

Daniel LOVED his first firework show and all the fun beforehand, too!

We were excited to be invited to join Aunt Christina's fiance Jason's family to watch fireworks. Grandma Cheryl and Grandpa Gary joined us, too. Daniel spent the whole day asking for "titi" so he was really excited to see Aunt Christina at the celebration. So, Saturday night, we met everybody up at the Taste of Oak Brook at the Oak Brook Polo Grounds for the show, with blankets, toys, and snacks in hand, and a very well-rested boy (Daniel took a three hour nap that afternoon!). We had a lot of fun, playing, snacking, chatting, and walking around. It was crazy busy there, and Daniel loved all the excitement. Jason's mom gave everybody glow-sticks which were a big hit- Daniel loved those! There was absolutely no danger of Daniel falling asleep before the fireworks- there was just so much going on!

This was also the LATEST Daniel has ever stayed up! And it was his first time being outside at night. He loved pointing out the airplanes in the sky, which were all lit up. Groups around us had sparklers, which Daniel enjoyed watching, too. And the glow-sticks- Daniel had a ball with those. He liked putting them together, putting them on him, rolling and throwing them, and so on. The fun was pretty much endless! We were sort of hoping Daniel would actually wear one so when it got dark, we could find and watch him a little easier, but he was having too much fun just playing with them instead- so we had to just watch a little closer. I was a nervous wreck, but we survived. And when it was all over, Daddy was smart and put them on Daniel's stroller when we left so we could all find our way out and not lose each other!

As for the fireworks- oh, how I loved watching Daniel watch the fireworks. I loved the glow of the fireworks on his mesmerized, excited face- each spark of fireworks gave me a quick glimpse of my son's face and I waited for the next glimpse and the next one and so on. I managed to watch a few fireworks myself (I LOVE fireworks), but I have to say it was just as much fun to watch Daniel's face and reaction, too. He jumped from lap to lap, while also walking around and pointing at them and showing them to everybody. I also think he was a little pumped up from all the activity, the late-hour, and perhaps the cookies he ate. Daniel watched as much of the fireworks as I thought he would, really. He kept saying boom and stomping his feet, too. It was just so much fun to see his excitement. Little kids really do bring out so much excitement in holidays, don't they?! Life is so simple for them.

I'm so glad we braved the late hour and the crowds to join the celebration. We had a blast! Daniel was such a good boy the whole evening, just as we knew he would be. And when we got home at 11:00 PM, almost three hours past his bedtime, he went right to sleep! No- he didn't even sleep in the car (even though we had his snuggly lion handy); he was so excited about the "booms", "titi", and the glow sticks he got to keep with him in the car seat! Actually, Daniel chatted up a storm the whole way home...and eventually he even said bed, read (for reading a book), truck (the book he wanted to read), and lion - and I knew he was ready for bed the minute we got home. Not that there was even the slightest question about that anyway!

Enjoy the pictures from our fun night out at the fireworks show!


















No comments: