Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The OTHER Side of the Store!!!!

Sooooo...do you recall the picture I posted of "Our Christmas Present"...

Did you figure it out as quickly as our families did?!!


Ben and I opened our very first Christmas present on Christmas Eve day...the one that had been hiding in my office for a whole MONTH...the one that would tell us whether we're having a girl or a boy... We snuggled up with Daniel in front of us, we let Daniel pull the card out of the envelope which of course he was very excited to do, we had to crane our necks to see what it said since Daniel was kind of blocking it...is it a boy? is it a girl?

Before our ultrasound appointment last month, we'd been debating and debating whether to find out or not, and we decided it might be fun to do something different this time and maybe find out, but IF we wanted to find out (we gave ourselves that option still...of not finding out, but I think we always knew we would), we thought- wouldn't that be a really special Christmas present...finding out on Christmas Eve just the three of us at home?! So I made a card to give to the doctor to mark and seal in an envelope so it'd be a secret until Christmas. Nobody knew our plan and in fact, I think we'd convinced most people that we were NOT finding out...

In case you haven't figured it out...here's what our card looked like, with the answer circled (the card did open, left side was the front, right side was inside- I just put them together to make it easier to share here)...


It's a GIRL!!!! Can you believe it?! I hardly can. It took a while for it sink in...but we are super excited! I was so sure it'd be a boy and I would have been thrilled if it was. I have to say, before I had kids, I'd always wanted one of each, but lately, since the day Daniel was born in fact, I've said it'd be nice for Daniel to have a brother and I'd have been very happy with that. Still, one of each would have been wonderful. So, our little girl sure surprised us and we're thrilled!!! Well, I am- Ben is, however, dreading the credit card bills because I get to shop on the OTHER side of the stores now!! Girl clothes are so much fun! But seriously, we're very excited. And a little overwhelmed. It makes it all real again...and time is flying so fast!

So the picture above is what we gave our families to announce that we were having a girl. Ben's family found out on Christmas Eve and my family found out on Christmas Day- and both figured it out pretty quickly! Each person got one piece of the puzzle: "Sugar and spice and everything nice, that's what little girls are made of". One person got sugar, one got the cinnamon spice, and the moms got the books titled "Everything Nice" (which I thought was a stroke of luck to find!). A cinnamon sugar blend and some packets of sugar were added for my family since there were 5 people and I wanted each person to have something different. We told them these were presents from Daniel, which made them think (not for long though)- "oh Daniel must have raided the pantry" and then of course the book sealed the deal. It was so fun to make it a little puzzle for them! I had a ball coming up with this plan and finding all the things I needed to make two sets of girl gifts (one for each family). And of course, we had a set of boy gifts, too (frogs, snail shells, and dogs), just in case...since we didn't know until that morning which one it was. Both sets were wrapped and ready to go and all I had to do was grab the right bag of goodies. Fun, fun, fun!

That's the story of how our little girl helped make this Christmas the most wonderful Christmas!

No comments: