Wednesday, October 7, 2009

1 Year 1 Week and 1 Day old!






Well, we've had a busy week since Daniel's birthday! Last week, Daniel was very busy cutting a new tooth on the bottom- that 4th bottom tooth (8th in all) we've been waiting for. And boy did that tooth work our little guy hard. Daniel even went on a nursing strike for 3 days- he would NOT nurse at all. It actually started the day before his birthday- he was having a rough day and a rough night. We decided it must be hard work turning one! This continued through Wednesday and finally, during his nighttime feeding late Wednesday night he started nursing again. I was relieved- I don't think I'm ready to stop nursing! But then, it isn't about me, is it?! I was more relieved that he seemed to be feeling better, and sure enough, Thursday he ate more, played with his toys more, crawled all over the house and even up the stairs- all stuff he hadn't done in three days. And I'm happy to say that each day since has been better and better. :)

Daniel has had a lot of fun with his toys lately- both new and old and some "not" toys, too, as you can see above! He is really learning a lot these days and doing something new quite often. Last Friday he finally mastered putting his rings on the green stacker tower and today he's even better at it- more determined and more sure of himself and definitely very proud of himself! He is really thinking about what he's doing with that toy. I love watching him concentrate. I also think I might have a helper in the kitchen someday...whenever we're in the kitchen, Daniel is always right there with us. He wants to watch what we're doing, he wants to play, and so on. I gave him a spice bottle to keep him busy one night and he really had a lot of fun with that- shaking it like crazy and studying it. He's also getting really good at walking his car all over the house. He loves that thing. And today he was pushing his lawnmower like crazy, too- he thinks that's a neat toy,too.

Daniel is also getting better at standing and walking between two things. He only stands for a few split seconds on his own, but each day he's getting stronger. And he's getting braver each day, too, with trying to walk between two things- he still has to hold on, but he's stretching and reaching to get to the next place to grab a hold of and continue walking. You can just barely see him doing this between the stairs and his car in the one picture above. He was walking along the step and wanted to walk the car, so he turned and stretched to grab a hold of the car and then swooped up to the car and went on his way. He's good at figuring that out! And if he can't reach, he'll just get down and crawl and get back up!

I also have to say- Kisses are just the best! Daniel will even initiate them now! This is another new thing this past week. They're pretty slobbery, but oh how I love them! We've been getting kisses when we say "kiss" but now he initiates them too, and he will even kiss if I say "I love you"- again, so smart! And it gets better- Daniel also kissed his Uncle Brian the other day, too! Uncle Brian was thrilled, needless to say. And Brian gets the honor of being the first outside of mommy and daddy to get a kiss, too- that's pretty cool! But then, Daniel thinks Uncle Brian's very cool! Grandma Cheryl and Aunt Christina got kisses today, too, while we were out shopping. Grandma Mary Kay- one's on the way for you, too!

We had Daniel's 1 year well visit on Monday and his endocrinologist visit on Tuesday- both long appointments and Daniel was a very good sport both times. There isn't much of an update there- Daniel hasn't gained any weight or height since his last visit about 4 weeks ago, which wasn't much of a surprise to us. The pediatrician is still not TOO worried, but is glad we're seeing the endocrinologist. That doctor also didn't seem too concerned- she's covering the bases with more bloodwork, which we'll get the results for in a couple weeks hopefully. Both doctors are pleased with Daniel's motor development- he's really on the right track with everything else! YAY! That's definitely something we're glad about! Daniel got two shots at his well visit and only cried a little bit, and no more effects that night either. But the best part of his endocrinologist visit was that they had to draw blood (glad they could do it right then and there!) and Daniel DID NOT even flinch! He cried about two seconds only when she was all done! I couldn't believe it. The nurse gave Daniel a vial to play with and he loved that thing- that kept him busy, studying it, chewing it, so much that he didn't even notice what was happening! I liked that nurse- she was great. The endocrinologist had also given Daniel her stethoscope to play with and he loved that thing too- that was fun. Given how much Daniel had to go through the last couple days with doctor appointments and being poked and prodded and all, we were so glad they were creative in ways to occupy Daniel, because he's sure a busy baby who likes to be on the move!

Lastly, Daniel broke an eating record yesterday! He actually ate an ENTIRE container of baby food for breakfast yesterday! I was shocked. Daniel gobbled up that squash (we use that to mix with oatmeal because we know he likes squash) and just kept going and going. We were so excited. And we were even more excited today- because he broke that record, too- eating almost TWO whole containers of baby food for breakfast. This time, carrots and apricots. His appetite does seem to be increasing, if the last two days are any indicator. Daniel really will eat almost anything we put in front of him. We're still eating baby food because we still had jars leftover from before when we were trying to get him to eat period, before he got into eating people food. But, now, we've also found that this baby food is good in the morning- he hasn't been too interested in breakfast, and this seems to get him going better. Lunch and dinner are mostly people food. And we're okay with this balance of different kinds of food- whatever works for Daniel!

WHEW- I told you it was a busy week! I had so many stories to share...and I'm not even done yet. But that's another post all together...just wait...

No comments: